On Thursday, a Prince’s Foundation-sanctioned report from auditing firm Ernst & Young, revealed that Mr Fawcett coordinated with fixer-uppers on an honor for a Saudi businessman who donated to the charity of Charles. The report was released on Thursday, which coincided with the Court of Appeals ruling regarding Meghan and the Mail on Sunday. After the report was published, Richard Palmer, royal correspondent for the Daily Express, said the publication “may not have been an accident”.
He said: “It may not be a coincidence that Charles’s charity has chosen the day of Meghan’s court ruling to issue a damaging report on the money for access scandal. “
Investigation by the auditor revealed that Charles’s assistant had been in contact with so-called “fixers” regarding donor honors between 2014 and 2018.
The investigation added, however, that the activity had taken place without the knowledge or approval of the Princely Foundation.
Clarence House has previously insisted Charles was unaware of the incident.
A summary of the report reads: “Regarding the allegation of obtaining honors for a donor in exchange for donations, there is evidence that communication and coordination took place between the CEO of the era and the so-called “fixers” regarding honorary appointments for a donor between 2014-18.
“There is no evidence that the directors at the time were aware of these communications. “
Mr Fawcett resigned last month over allegations he had talks with Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz over obtaining a CBE and British citizenship.
Mr. bin Mahfouz received an honorary CBE from Charles in a private ceremony in 2016.
JUST IN: Kate and William will give Archie and Lili Christmas presents
The investigation also revealed that Mr. Fawcett, and another employee of the anonymous foundation, were involved in a money transfer from the Mahfouz Foundation, founded by Mr. bin Mahfouz, to the Foundation for Children and the Arts (CATA ), which is half gone.
Charles ceased to be a patron of the association in 2019.
Dame Sue Bruce, president of the Prince’s Foundation, said the incident had been a difficult chapter, but lessons will be learned in the future.
A previous statement from Clarence House said: “It is important to His Royal Highness that the charities that carry his name operate to the highest standards, in accordance with the rules set by the charity regulators.
“We are taking this opportunity to strengthen the advice to these charities, especially with regard to their relations with supporters. “
The report’s release came as the Duchess of Sussex won her privacy case against Associated Newspapers, owners of The Daily Mail, Mail On Sunday and MailOnline.
DO NOT MISS
Prince William rivals Prince Harry over Apple project [Latest]
The Queen told Obama to leave the state banquet because she was tired [Update]
Archie and Lilibet traditions could participate in this Christmas [Insight]
The court ruled that the letter published in the newspaper was private and “deeply personal”.
In a statement, Meghan said: “In the three years since the start, I have shown patience in the face of deception, intimidation and calculated attacks.
“The courts have held the accused to account and I hope we all start to do the same.
“Because as far back as it sounds from your personal life, it isn’t.
“Tomorrow it could be you.”
“These harmful practices don’t happen once in a blue moon – they are a daily failure that divides us and we all deserve better.”
Clarence House and the Prince’s Foundation have been approached for comment by Express.co.uk.